Generators in Ghana
Power outage is common in Ghana. If the power goes out for more than a couple of hours, many begin to feel overwhelmed and want an alternative plan. Generators are the foundation of the plan and will offer protection to your house or business. It is essential to know the functions of generators and what they can accomplish and the numerous possibilities they provide. Let’s take a look at what you need to be aware of generators in Ghana.
What is a Standby Generator?
The standby generator acts as a source of power that switches automatically when the main power source is not available. They are permanently located on the outside of a building or home. They are enclosed in an enclosure that is weatherproof to shield the structure from weather and elements. The power source is an independent source of fuel like propane or natural gas.
This is different from a conventional portable generator which requires gasoline for operation. This means that you don’t have to purchase gasoline and refills, like in the case of portable generators.
If a power outage occurs and an automatic switch detects that there is a loss in utility and then sends a signal to the generator to begin, within 10 seconds, the relay of the automatic transfer switch contact will be closed and immediately start to provide the electrical system with power. If the generator is running it will supply power to critical appliances and systems like heating or cooling appliances, lighting refrigerators, sump pumps, and many other things.
Does My Home Need a Generator?
“Power outages can happen at any moment. There are blackouts that are only brief however others may last for days or even weeks and can pose serious dangers to health and safety.”
The power outages can occur due to a myriad of reasons like a storm destroying the tree, or an animal that is on the power line, or your power provider experienced issues regarding their network.
If you’re trying to maintain your heating and cooling system in operation or keep your lights running during an outage, it’s worth the installation of an emergency generator. However, regardless of the reason be sure to consider the future and come up with a plan in place for what you’ll do in response to power failures in your local area.
What size of generator do you require?
Standby generators that are suitable for small commercial to residential vary from 5 to 150 Kilowatts and can meet almost any need for power. It is important to select one that is suited to your requirements and your lifestyle.
If, for instance, you only need to power some key appliances in a big home or all the appliances in a smaller space and a smaller home, an 5 to 30 Kilowatt generator could be ideal for you.
However, If you’re looking to power all the appliances in a larger house larger generator is the best choice to provide you with the power you require. It is highly advised that a correct load calculation be carried out to find the appropriate size generator to meet your needs.
There are some other things to take note of before deciding on the best size, such as:
- Electrical codes
- Affordable service for gas and Meter
- Your local noise ordinances
1. How long does it take to install a Generator?
- The installation usually takes one or two days to be completed by electricians.
2. What is the price of a Generator in Ghana?
- Electric power generators are powered by either Petrol or Diesel. Petrol-powered generators start at about 1Kw to about 10Kw, prices for petrol-powered generators start from Ghana Cedi 800 for a very small portable and affordable unit.
- Diesel-powered generators start from about 4Kw upwards, prices for diesel-powered generators start from around Ghana Cedi 6000 for a unit that is capable of powering a small house (1.5HP air-condition, fridge, lights, and a TV)
- Diesel-powered generators are heavy-duty, with a longer life span with a good maintenance schedule, and consume 40% less fuel.
3. Is Solar System a great alternative to Power Generators?
- Yes, Solar Panels are a great alternative to power generators. To know more read the blog on solar panels here. Let the sun pay your bills.
4. Will I Know How to Operate my Generator?
- The generators we install are generators that are of high quality and need manual turning on to start. Our generators are covered by a warranty.
5. What About a Generator for My Business?
- Like your house, your business has vital equipment and systems which you’ll want to continue working despite an outage in power.
- It is important to have a generator that can supply power to your computers and phones in the event of a storm and avoid expensive interruptions to business operations or the loss of employees because of the loss of electricity.
Call us at:
● TAMALE: +233 54 444 4290 / +233 54 013 1112
● ACCRA: +233 55 266 1304 / +233 54 010 3999
● TARKWA: +233 55 266 1304 / +233 55 044 8165
● TAKORADI: +233 55 044 8165
● HO: +233 54 013 1113
● WA: +233 54 013 1114